Workshops & Retreats
Joanna helps writers and artists of all types and levels find and grow their creative practice. Some of her workshops and classes include:
- Playwriting craft for all skill levels
- Finding and unlocking artistic inspiration
- Individual branding and marketing for artists and entrepreneurs
- Creating immersive and/or site-specific performance
- Devising for performers and/or writers
- Integrating location-based technology into storytelling experiences (partnering with Asunder.org)
Joanna also works one-on-one as a creative coach helping clients work through artistic blocks, defining creative goals, finding inspiration, maintaining momentum, as well as serving as a dramaturg, editor, and script doctor.
(CR)EATING WELL: YOGA AND EMBODIMENT THROUGH CREATIVITY AND MOVEMENT
OCTOBER 6-8, 2017 AT COASTAL MOUNTAIN SPORTS HAUS NEAR PORTLAND, OREGON (WOMEN-ONLY RETREAT)
A body-based creative retreat, utilizing creativity, yoga and somatic therapies to create a new relationship to food and body. Co-led by Julie Westlin-Naigus and Joanna Garner. For more information or to reserve your spot now, email email@example.com.
- Explore the ways in which you're personally and creatively hungry and figure out exactly what you're hungry for
- Get in touch with your intuitive "gut brain" and begin to listen closely
Uncover ways you can use food, eating, and your body as sources of inspiration for living a creatively fulfilling life
Early bird pricing available until Sept 1
Retreat fee includes:
- Two nights accommodation at Coastal Mountain Sports Haus, the gorgeous countryside lodge 50 minutes west of Portland.
- All meals while at the lodge. Includes fresh baked goods, seasonal garden vegetables and fruits, and fresh brewed coffee to order from the espresso bar. Dietary restrictions accommodated.
- Daily yoga and movement classes, tailored to all levels and abilities.
- Daily creativity workshops.
- Opportunities for sharing, processing, and building our community.
Bunk room (bunk bed, shared room - 8 spots available):
EARLY BIRD: $388 (AFTER SEPT 1: $408)
Shared lodge room (twin bed, shared room - 4 spots available):
EARLY BIRD: $450 (AFTER SEPT 1: $470)
Private lodge room (California king bed, private room - 2 rooms available):
EARLY BIRD: $500 (AFTER SEPT 1: $520)
Tent camping spot:
EARLY BIRD: $338 (AFTER SEPT 1: $358)
Reserve your spot at the Coastal Mountain Sports Haus retreat!
FEED YOUR CREATIVITY:
USING FOOD AND GUT INTUITION TO INSPIRE YOUR ARTISTIC LIFE
JUNE 27 - JULY 2, 2017 AT TOFTE LAKE CENTER
What is your gut instinct telling you?
Over six days at the Tofte Lake Center — the beautiful artist retreat center at the gateway to the Boundary Waters Wilderness of northern Minnesota—immerse yourself in workshops focused on creative discovery, writing, performance, mindfulness, and movement, as well as community meals, yoga, kayaking, swimming, and relaxation in the wood-fired sauna.
The retreat is open to anyone with a creative practice, from beginners to professional artists. During the week, you’ll dive into an artistic project of your choice at any stage of development—from finding inspiration to refining/revising existing material—and use the week’s activities to discover the story you’re telling and how you might tell it:
- Awaken senses and ignite creative practice through writing, visual and embodied art, yoga, mindful eating, and guided food experiences
- Explore food, eating, and cooking as ritual, prayer, performance, and celebration
- Spark personal storytelling through sensory experience and food memory
- Examine the ways in which you’re personally and artistically hungry and figure out exactly what you’re hungry for
- Set goals for your ongoing artistic practice during one-on-one coaching sessions with retreat facilitators
- Cultivate deep relationships with fellow participants, creating and sharing together, and inspiring each other’s work